Your Destiny: Five Winning Choices
By Rick Warren
“Anyone who is joined to Christ is a new being; the old is gone, the new has come.”
2 Corinthians 5:17 (GNT)
We learned yesterday that, ultimately, your identity is based on your choices. Here are five winning choices you can make that will help determine your destiny.
1. You can choose to get healthier. Instead of bemoaning the fact that you don’t have an Olympic body, find ways to increase your energy, lower your stress, get more sleep, and have more power. Psalm 119:73 says, “Your hands made me and formed me; give me understanding to learn your commands” (NIV). Improving the controllable factors in your life helps you reduce the impact of the uncontrollable factors.
2. You can choose to deepen relationships. The fear of rejection prevents connection, and the only way to get rid of fear is to do the thing you fear the most. Learn communication skills, replace bad relationships, and reach out and risk connecting with someone. “Let love be your highest goal!” (1 Corinthians 14:1 NLT).
3. You can choose to trust God, no matter what happens. “I will always thank the Lord; I will never stop praising him” (Psalm 34:1 GNT). Work to get to the point in your life where you can say, “I praise the Lord, no matter what happens.” That is a confidence that you won’t find anywhere in Hollywood, on Capitol Hill, or on Wall Street. That is a confidence built on a relationship with God!
4. You can choose what you think about. Throughout the 20th century, scientists believed the adult brain could not be changed. When the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize winner proved that you can rewire your brain, science finally caught up to the Bible: “Let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think” (Romans 12:2 NLT). Your self is created by your memories, and your memories are created by your mental habits. Feed your brain with the truth of God’s Word.
5. You can choose Jesus as your Savior. I’m not just talking about Jesus saving you from your sins. I’m talking about letting Jesus be your Savior every day. Letting Jesus save you gives you the power to follow through on the choices you make. The Bible says in 2 Corinthians 5:17, “Anyone who is joined to Christ is a new being; the old is gone, the new has come” (GNT).
You get to choose how much God blesses your life. It is never too late to change. When you make these five winning choices, God gives you a winning hand.
If you’re ready to start making better choices, pray this prayer today: “Dear God, there are some things you’ve dealt me and life has dealt me and others have dealt me that I don’t like. But I thank you that you made me in your image and that I can make choices. Today, in your power and your strength, I choose to get healthier. I choose to do the things that will give me more energy and a healthier mind, body, and emotions. Lord, I choose to build healthy relationships. I’m scared to death, but I’m going to risk building new, healthy connections. I want love to be my highest goal; I want my life to be built on love.
“God, I choose to trust you, regardless of the circumstances. I will praise you, no matter what happens! I will trust that every detail of my life is being worked out for good. Lord, I choose what I will think about—no more junk. Help me to fill my life with positive memories and the Word of truth. Most of all, Jesus, I choose you as my Savior. I need your salvation, but I also need you to save me from myself. I need you to help me rewire my body, my heart, my mind, and my relationships so that the rest of my life is the best of my life. In Jesus’ name. Amen.”
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Ground Yourself in God’s Word and Discover the Path to True Happiness
Scripture memorization is a powerful tool to help you remember God’s promises, principles, and the purposes he has for you.
That’s why Pastor Rick created The Habits of Happiness Scripture card set, with 52 key verses from his Habits of Happiness teaching series that will help you discover God’s path to true and lasting happiness.
These colorful, eye-catching cards make it easy to memorize the Word of God so you have it when you need it most.
We'll send you The Habits of Happiness Scripture cards to say thanks for your gift below to share the hope of Jesus Christ with people around the world through Daily Hope.
And thanks to a generous Matching Grant, your gift today will be DOUBLED to reach even more people with the certain hope of Christ!
So request the cards now—and experience the true happiness God wants for you!
*The USA IRS code permits you to deduct the amount of your financial gift to Daily Hope that exceeds the fair market value of materials you received from Daily Hope.
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.